News in Brief: A National Roundup
Vallas Named Chief of State-Run Schools in New Orleans
Paul G. Vallas, the chief executive officer of the Philadelphia schools, has been tapped to lead the state-run district that operates most of the schools in New Orleans.
Louisiana state Superintendent of Education Paul G. Pastorek announced on May 4 that Mr. Vallas had agreed to serve as the superintendent of the Recovery School District. He will assume his duties there on July 1, replacing the acting superintendent, Robin Jarvis, whose resignation is effective May 31.
The Recovery School District operated a handful of low-performing schools before Hurricane Katrina struck the city in 2005. After the storm, state lawmakers expanded its role. The RSD now operates 22 campuses enrolling 10,000 students. The Orleans Parish school board and independent charter groups operate other schools.
Mr. Vallas, the former schools chief in Chicago, has led the Philadelphia schools since 2002. He had announced earlier this spring that he would leave that job at the end of this school year.
Vol. 26, Issue 36, Page 6
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH