Suicide rates among children and adolescents between the ages of 10 and 20 increased by 18 percent in 2004, according to data from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Suicide is the fourth-leading cause of death for that age group and was the only cause of death to increase significantly from 2003 to 2004 after more than a decade of decline. The majority of the jump occurred in older teenagers ages 15 to 19, increasing from 1,737 to 1,985 during that time. An analysis of the data appears in the February issue of Pediatrics.
Vol. 26, Issue 24, Page 13
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Principal at Northridge High School
- Tuscaloosa City Schools, Tuscaloosa, AL
- High School Principal
- Harrisonburg City Public Schools, VA
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE