News in Brief: A State Capitals Roundup
New Jersey Takes Steps to Hasten School Fixes
In an attempt to detect and solve problems earlier, New Jersey has revised the system by which it monitors school districts.
The changes, embodied in a law signed Sept. 26 by acting Gov. Richard J. Codey, a Democrat, are also designed to return New Jersey’s three state-run districts to local control sooner, officials said.
Acting Commissioner of Education Lucille Davy told reporters during a conference call that previously, “everything had to be crumbling before the department could step in and provide help.”
Under the new system, districts will identify areas each year that need improvement, and work with the state department of education to address them, said department spokesman Jon Zlock.
Vol. 25, Issue 07, Page 17
- ISS iFair
- International Schools Services, US
- Enrollment Ombudsman
- Hempstead Union Free School District, Long Island, NY
- Principal K3-8
- Summerville Catholic School, Summerville, SC
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV