Teacher Turnover Seen as Costly to Nation
The nationwide cost of replacing teachers who either quit the profession or change schools is nearly $5 billion a year, concludes an analysis of teacher turnover.
The Alliance for Excellent Education, a nonprofit that studies school issues, estimates that the annual cost of replacing teachers varies from $8.5 million annually in North Dakota to as much as $504 million a year in Texas. Roughly 1,000 teachers across the nation leave the profession every schoolday, according to the study, released in an Issue Brief this month. Those estimates exclude retirees.
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Middle School Director
- Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, NC
- City of Cape Coral Charter Schools, Cape Coral, FL
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Wissahickon School District, PA