News in Brief: A National Roundup
Obituary: Ray Budde
Ray Budde, 82, who was said to have coined the term “charter” in reference to schooling, died of respiratory failure on June 11 in Springfield, Mass.
Mr. Budde was a longtime educator, with experience as a teacher, principal, and education professor. In 1988, he wrote Educating by Charter: Restructuring School Districts. His idea was for a local school board to give a group of teachers a charter that would allow greater control over curriculum and instruction in return for ensuring improvements in student performance.
Vol. 24, Issue 42, Page 4
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL
- Dean of Students
- Diman Regional Vocational-Technical High School, Fall River, MA
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA