News in Brief: A National Roundup
Obituary: Ray Budde
Ray Budde, 82, who was said to have coined the term “charter” in reference to schooling, died of respiratory failure on June 11 in Springfield, Mass.
Mr. Budde was a longtime educator, with experience as a teacher, principal, and education professor. In 1988, he wrote Educating by Charter: Restructuring School Districts. His idea was for a local school board to give a group of teachers a charter that would allow greater control over curriculum and instruction in return for ensuring improvements in student performance.
Vol. 24, Issue 42, Page 4
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA
- Principal Highland Park High School
- Township High School District #113, IL
- Durham Public Schools, Durham, NC
- Baldwin Union Free School District, Baldwin, NY
- Assistant Professor of Education: Educational Leadership/Teacher Leadership
- Maryville University, MO