News in Brief: A National Roundup
Obituary: Ray Budde
Ray Budde, 82, who was said to have coined the term “charter” in reference to schooling, died of respiratory failure on June 11 in Springfield, Mass.
Mr. Budde was a longtime educator, with experience as a teacher, principal, and education professor. In 1988, he wrote Educating by Charter: Restructuring School Districts. His idea was for a local school board to give a group of teachers a charter that would allow greater control over curriculum and instruction in return for ensuring improvements in student performance.
Vol. 24, Issue 42, Page 4
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Administrative Assistant
- AERO HYDROLIC INC, Chicago Heights, IL