School Choice Loses Legislative Momentum
With some exceptions, most voucher bills fail following flurry of action.
So much for school choice advocates’ banner year in state legislatures.
Even with Utah’s adoption of vouchers for students with disabilities, and with enactment of school choice measures still plausible in Arizona and Ohio, 2005 hasn’t brought the strong showing that school choice supporters predicted it would.
Lawmakers in Florida, Indiana, Missouri, South Carolina, and other states shot down prominent bills that would have created or expanded major programs...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
- Lake Forest School District 67 & 115, Lake Forest, IL
- Elementary Principal
- Forest Grove School District, Forest Grove, OR
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Literacy
- Regis University, Denver, CO
- Princeton Public School District, Princeton, NJ
- Perspectives Charter Schools, Chicago, IL