Ed. Dept. Sued Over D.C. Voucher Documents
As Program Moves Into New Year, Group Claims Stonewalling
A liberal organization that opposes the federally financed voucher program in the District of Columbia has filed a suit that seeks to force the U.S. Department of Education to disclose documents detailing how the program is being implemented.
The lawsuit by the People for the American Way Foundation comes after nearly a year of efforts by the organization to obtain documents under the Freedom of Information Act. The Washington-based group has obtained some voucher-related documents, but seeks many more, which it claims the Education Department is illegally withholding in violation of federal open-records law.
Education Department officials declined last week to...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, Multiple Locations
- Roaring Fork School District, Carbondale, CO
- Portola Valley School District, Portola Valley, CA
- Ann Arbor Public Schools, Ann Arbor, MI
- Chief Academic Officer
- Maryland State Department of Education, MD