Published Online:

News Updates

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

The Ohio Supreme Court has ruled that the Columbus school district must reinstate a longtime administrator to her former job and reimburse her back pay because it provided insufficient notice when it fired her in 1990.

In its ruling last month, the court held that the Columbus Board of Education should have informed the former assistant superintendent for human resources, Evelyn Luckey, by March 31, 1990, that it did not plan to renew her contract that year.

Ms. Luckey was one of 60 administrators who received a letter from then 'Superintendent Ronald Etheridge in January 1990 informing them that they might lose their jobs. However, the beard did not formally vote to dismiss Ms. Luckey until April.

Black community leaders in Columbus called for Mr. Etheridge's resignation when he fired several black administrators that spring as a part of broader purge of the schools' management. (See Education Week, April 11, 1990.)

Mr. Etheridge left his position in October of that year.

Twelve former administrators also currently have cases before the state high court, a deputy clerk at the court said.

Ms. Luckey, a 32-year teacher and administrator in the Columbus schools, said she filed the suit to "right the wrong that was done in my termination." Last week the district decided to ask the state high court for a reheating of the case.

The Chicago public schools will reinstate summer programs for an estimated 10,000 seriously disabled schoolchildren this year under an agreement approved by a federal court.

The settlement stems from a lawsuit filed in October by parents protesting the city school beard's plans to eliminate $8.5 million in funds for the program. (See Education Week, Oct. 16, 1991.) The parents argued that their children need the extended year programs to keep from losing the educational gains they make during the regular academic year.

Under the terms of the agreement, approved last month by U.S. District Judge Harry D. Leinenweber, the school system must restore $6.5 million of the program funds this year. In future years, the agreement also states, school officials will have to set aside funds early in the year to ensure that extended-year programs are available for every child who needs them.

The school system also must take steps to improve the operation of the programs, which parents say have long been plagued by poor planning and have arbitrarily excluded some children. A court-appointed monitor will oversee that effort.

"This agreement ensures that all eligible children can attend an extended-school year program, without the decision being swayed by the beard's finances," said Joan Slay, the public-policy director for Designs for Change, the reform-advocacy group that represented the parents.

Federal health officials are concerned about the spread of dangerous new forms of tuberculosis that are resistant to standard drug treatments.

Several hundred federal, state, and local health officials, called together by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, met in Atlanta last month to discuss the spread of these strains of the microorganisms that cause T.B., which have infected people in at least 13 states.

In 1990, the latest year for which data are available, 25,701 Americans were diagnosed as having tuberculosis, 1,596 of whom were under the age of 15. Several school districts are taking measures to prevent the spread of the disease, which has become more common in recent years. (See Education Week, Sept. 18, 1991.)

The disease typically can be treated successfully using the two most common antituberculosis medicines, health officials said. The new drug-resistant strains, in contrast, do not respond to these two drugs, and must be treated with less effective drugs, they said.

Officials at the C.D.C. said the conference was designed to ensure that state and local health officials are meeting current guidelines concerning care of the disease.

Commissioners in Knox County, Tenn., have ended nine months of debate by approving a $42.8-million school-desegregation plan.

The commissioners approved the plan late last month on a 10-to-8 vote.

The controversial plan centers on closing 21 schools, opening 6 new ones along with 5 new magnet schools, redrawing attendance zones, and busing students. (See Education Week, May 1, 1991.)

This fall, a federal district court upheld the plan, saying that it does not discriminate against black students even though it will affect them more than white ones.

The plan is to be implemented by the end of 1994.

The 50,000-student system includes the city of Knoxville and the surrounding county, which merged in 1987.

Web Only

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login | Register
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories