Curious about all the big stories and trends we’ll be covering in 2020? So are we. Sure, there’s a presidential election, gubernatorial and legislative races, and many big issues that will get a ton of attention over the coming year. But there’s lots coming down the pike that we simply don’t know is on the way. Far easier—and far more fun—to pinpoint what we are virtually sure is not going to happen on the education beat.
So here’s our list of 10 headlines you almost certainly won’t be seeing from us in 2020.
1. High School Senior Pays Off All Lunch Debt in Congressional Cafeterias
2. Sprawling but Civil Edu-Twitter Debate Solves Vexing Problems in 37 Minutes
3. Let’s Dump ESSA and Start Over Right Before I Retire, Sen. Lamar Alexander Declares
4. Schools Desperate for Civics Curriculum Are Just Showing ‘Veep’ in Class
5. Juul-Focused Charter School Opens
6. Privacy Advocates Hail Push to Give All Classrooms Video Doorbells
7. Betsy DeVos Claps Back at School Choice Fans: ‘Sure Would Be Nice if You Thanked Me’
8. In New Admissions Policies, Colleges Demand Students Hit Peloton Performance Targets
9. Washington’s NFL Team Offers MOOCs to Train Aspiring Coaches, Finds No Takers
10. Democratic Nominee Pledges to Triple the Number of Secretaries of Education
Photo: Sixth grader Julian Salazar travels to Wheat Ridge Middle School in Colorado in 2011. (Nathan Armes for Education Week)