Engaging the Families of English-Language Learners
Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 2 to 3 p.m. ET
Note: No special equipment other than Internet access is needed to participate in any of our text-based chats. Participants may begin submitting questions the morning of the chat.
For elementary school-aged English-language learners, parent involvement and support is key as they learn to read and write in another language. Two San Jose Unified School District educators, Maria Arias Evans and Christian Rubalcaba, will take questions on their efforts to partner with the families of ELLs to boost literacy.
Arias Evans, the award-winning principal at Washington Elementary, opens the school library daily to parents and their children to encourage family reading time and hosts weekly parent meetings to honor on-campus volunteers. Rubalcaba, a former teacher and the instructional coach at Olinder Elementary School, has earned recognition from the White House and the U.S. Department of Education for his parent engagement efforts, including a home visit program known as “Mr. R's Home-to-School Connection.”
Christian Rubalcaba, instructional coach, Olinder Elementary School, San Jose Unified School District, Calif.
Maria Arias Evans, principal, Washington Elementary School, San Jose Unified School District, Calif.
Corey Mitchell, staff writer, Education Week
Teaching America's English-Language Learners: A Special Report
All questions are screened by an edweek.org editor prior to posting. A question is not displayed until the moderator poses it to the guest(s). Due to the volume of questions received, we cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, or answered in the order of submission. Guests and hosts may decline to answer any questions. Concise questions are strongly encouraged.
Please be sure to include your name when posting your question.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Albert Einstein Distinguished Educator Fellowship
- Department Of Energy, Washington D.C.
- Chief Communications Officer
- Fulton County Schools, Atlanta, Georgia
- Assistant Superintendent, Innovative Programs
- Fulton County Schools, Atlanta, GA, US
- Director of the Gan Preschool at Adas Israel Congregation, Washington, DC, starting 7/1/2019
- The Gan at Adas Israel, 2850 Quebec St, NW, Washington D.C.
- Director of System Level Partnerships
- Teaching Matters, New York City, New York