Demographics and Performance: A D.C. SchoolEducation Week spent six months reporting on how the District of Columbia’s vision of the common-core English/language arts standards is being put into practice in one 8th grade classroom at one school, Stuart-Hobson Middle School on Capitol Hill. The District of Columbia has taken on an aggressive K-12 implementation of the common standards, a particular challenge since its academic performance lags behind that of the United States as a whole. Stuart-Hobson Middle School faces fewer challenges to success than many of Washington’s schools, in part because it serves fewer disadvantaged children.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Fairfield Public Schools, Fairfield, CT
- Vice President for Education
- The Possible Project, Cambridge, MA
- Executive Principal of The Academies of Shakopee High School
- Shakopee Public Schools, Shakopee, MN
- Executive Director, Federal Programs
- DeKalb County School District, St Mountain, GA
- Quarrybrook, Windham, NH