News in Brief
Court Blocks Cuts in State Aid to N.Y.C.
A New York judge has blocked the state from withholding $250 million from New York City schools as punishment for missing a deadline on a teacher-evaluation plan.
In granting a preliminary injunction last week, state Supreme Court Justice Manuel Mendez said a lawsuit brought by a group of parents challenging the penalty has merit. Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration said it would appeal.
The lawsuit argues it would be unconstitutional to withhold funding from students who had nothing to do with an impasse between the city and the United Federation of Teachers over how to measure the performance of educators.
State law pushed by Gov. Cuomo to secure federal Race to the Top funding required all of New York's nearly 700 school districts to have an approved evaluation system in place by Jan. 17.
Vol. 32, Issue 22, Page 4
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
Viewed
Emailed
Recommended
Commented
Sponsored Whitepapers
• Best Practices in Information Management, Reporting and Analytics for Education
- Chief Financial Officer
- Hernando County School Board, Brooksville, FL
- Train Brilliant Math Students
- Art of Problem Solving, San Diego, CA
- Instructional Leadership Director
- ALBANY CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT, Albany, NY
- Principal - Chicago Metro Area West
- The Menta Group, Hillside, IL
- Common Core Literacy Assessment Developer - Part Time
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY



We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.