News in Brief
Parent-Trigger Charter Advances in California
The Adelanto, Calif., school board voted unanimously last week to approve the recommendation of a local parent group to transform Desert Trails Elementary School into a charter school operated by LaVerne Elementary Preparatory Academy.
The vote is thought to make the 8,300-student Adelanto district the first in the country to approve a provision under a parent-trigger law which allows schools to be restructured through a majority vote of parents, according to Parent Revolution, a Los Angeles-based organization that has advised parents on the policy. Voters in November ousted school board President Carlos Mendoza, who had opposed the parents' effort. In the same election, Teresa Rogers, a member of the Desert Trails Parent Union, was elected to the school board.
Vol. 32, Issue 17, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Deputy Superintendent
- Blue Valley Schools, Overland Park, KS
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Director, Professional Development Curriculum Design & Development
- Northwest Evaluation Association, Portland, OR
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Secondary Teachers
- Roaring Fork School District, Glenwood Spgs, CO