"The 2011 National School Climate Survey"
A new survey by the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network shows that anti-LGBT language at schools has been decreasing, and, for the first time in the 12 years of the survey, responses show a significant decrease in victimization based on sexual orientation.
The results include responses from about 8,600 lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students from 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Students' perception of a safer school climate was directly related to the availability of school-based LGBT resources and support, including gay-straight alliances and comprehensive anti-bullying policies that specify protection for LGBT students.
Vol. 32, Issue 03, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Healthy Start Academy, Durham, NC
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Navy Hale Keiki School, Honolulu, HI