Published Online: August 28, 2012
Published in Print: August 29, 2012, as N.C. Appeals Court Upholds Pre-K Ruling

News in Brief

N.C. Appeals Court Upholds Pre-K Ruling

A state appeals court has upheld a lower court decision that says North Carolina cannot deny at-risk children admission to the state's prekindergarten program.

A three-judge panel of the Court of Appeals ruled unanimously last week against the state, which argued that a Superior Court judge went too far in throwing out legislative changes last year to the prekindergarten program.

Those changes included limits on the number of children considered at-risk that could be served and required some co-payments for the free program.

Appeals Court Judge Rick Elmore wrote that the state misinterpreted the order to mean legislators must provide prekindergarten to all at-risk 4-year-olds in North Carolina. He said the order was about eliminating artificial barriers to program entry.

Vol. 32, Issue 02, Page 5

Related Stories
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login | Register
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Recommended

Commented