News in Brief
Ga. Governor Signs Charter-Funding Law
Gov. Nathan Deal has signed legislation approving a funding system for Georgia charter schools created by the state.
Voters are set to decide in November whether to change the Georgia Constitution so state officials can create charter schools over the objection of local districts. Lawmakers acted to put the issue on the ballot, arguing it would clarify state law after a May ruling by the state supreme court that outlawed the Georgia Charter Schools Commission.
The bill signed last week is the "enabling" legislation that would re-establish the charter schools commission if voters approve the constitutional amendment.
Vol. 31, Issue 30, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Principal Highland Park High School
- Township High School District #113, IL
- Chief Academic Officer
- The Partnership for Inner-City Education, New York, NY
- Supervisor, Secondary Literacy Instruction
- Montgomery County Public Schools, MD
- Assistant Professor of Education: Educational Leadership/Teacher Leadership
- Maryville University, MO
- Plainfield Director of Special Services
- New England School Development Council, Meriden, NH