Broad Coalition Aims to Turn Around W.Va. District
As a member of West Virginia’s state board of education, Gayle Manchin was appalled in 2008 to learn that the state had been in control of the McDowell County schools for nearly a decade, with little to show for its efforts.
That feeling stuck with Ms. Manchin, who at the time was also West Virginia’s first lady, and inspired her resolve to figure out a better plan for the 3,500 rural public school students in the state’s southernmost county.
The result: Reconnecting McDowell , an ambitious, five-year partnership of more than 80 public and private groups that aims to turn around one of the state’s...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Associate Director of Curriculum & Instruction
- Generation Ready, New York, NY
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Florence Public School District One, Florence, SC
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- New Hope Academy Charter School, Brooklyn, NY
- Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, MO