"Transforming Public Education in New Orleans: The Recovery School District, 2003-2011"
The charter-run schools in New Orleans that are a part of Louisiana's Recovery School District have shown some dramatic gains in student performance, but the schools that are managed directly by the district have not demonstrated the same level of improvement, according to a new report.
The study was released last month by the Cowen Institute for Public Affairs Initiatives at Tulane University in New Orleans.
In 2004, before the RSD took over most of New Orleans' schools, 71 percent of students were attending schools rated "academically unacceptable."
That share dropped to 65 percent in the 2007-08 school year and 36 percent by 2010-11. However, the failing schools tend to be concentrated among the schools that are run directly by the district.
Vol. 31, Issue 15, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO