News in Brief
ELL Services in Mass. Face Civil Rights Probe
The U.S. Department of Education's office for civil rights has opened a new investigation related to English-language learners in Massachusetts, this time looking into a complaint that the state has failed to enforce laws intended to provide better services for ELLs in Boston charter schools.
The probe comes on the heels of similar investigations in regular public schools in Boston and Los Angeles. Federal civil rights authorities reached a settlement with the Boston school district last year to address shortcomings in its ELL programs. Earlier this year, it also found a statewide shortage of teachers adequately trained to teach academic content to ELLs.
Federal civil rights officials have opened at least 16 investigations into services for English-learners since President Barack Obama took office in 2009.
Vol. 31, Issue 11, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE
- Upper School (6th-12th grade) General Studies Principal
- Robert M. Beren Academy, Houston, TX
- TEACHER RECRUITMENT
- Mott Haven Academy Charter School, Bronx, NY
- SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS - CANTON, MS
- Canton Public School District, Canton, MS
- Classroom Teachers
- The Cambridge Schools, Doha, Qa, Qatar