Confronting Gender Anxiety
As their children head back to school, the question of gender is on the minds of many parents. Why? Recent—and widely circulated—news stories have focused on individuals and schools grappling with the question of gender stereotypes.
This past spring, a Toronto couple trying to raise a “genderless” child became a media sensation. Kathy Witterick, 38, and David Stocker, 39, refused to reveal whether their 4-month-old baby, Storm, is male or female. They say they want their child to avoid society’s rigid gender norms.
Meanwhile, in Sweden, the Egalia preschool has banished the words “girl” and “boy,” and the 33 kids are addressed as “friends.” In the same spirit, the school forgoes the words “him” and “her”—”han” or “hon” in Swedish—replacing them with a newly minted Swedish...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Florence Public School District One, Florence, SC
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- New Hope Academy Charter School, Brooklyn, NY
- School Superintendent
- Westborough Public Schools, Westborough, MA
- Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, MO
- Associate Director of Marketing & Business Development
- Generation Ready, New York, NY