News in Brief
Safe-Schools Chief Stepping Down
Kevin Jennings, the U.S. Department of Education's assistant deputy secretary for safe and drug-free schools, is leaving that role this week to become president and chief executive officer of the Boston nonprofit Be The Change.
Mr. Jennings founded the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, and his appointment two years ago raised the ire of some conservative members of Congress.
At the Education Department, he has put a spotlight on bullying. In October, the departments civil rights office issued a letter outlining schools roles' in cases of bullying, which stated in part that "a school is responsible for addressing harassment incidents about which it knows or reasonably should have known." Mr. Jennings' efforts culminated in a conference at the White House on bullying.
Vol. 30, Issue 33, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Deputy Superintendent
- Blue Valley Schools, Overland Park, KS
- Director, Professional Development Curriculum Design & Development
- Northwest Evaluation Association, Portland, OR
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, Chicago, IL
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV