News in Brief
Safe-Schools Chief Stepping Down
Kevin Jennings, the U.S. Department of Education's assistant deputy secretary for safe and drug-free schools, is leaving that role this week to become president and chief executive officer of the Boston nonprofit Be The Change.
Mr. Jennings founded the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, and his appointment two years ago raised the ire of some conservative members of Congress.
At the Education Department, he has put a spotlight on bullying. In October, the departments civil rights office issued a letter outlining schools roles' in cases of bullying, which stated in part that "a school is responsible for addressing harassment incidents about which it knows or reasonably should have known." Mr. Jennings' efforts culminated in a conference at the White House on bullying.
Vol. 30, Issue 33, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Coordinator of Connected Learning
- Center Grove Community School Corporation, Greenwood, IN
- Head of School
- Brownell-Talbot School, Omaha, NE
- Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Darien, CT Superintendent of Schools
- NESDEC, Darien, CT
- Superintendent of Catholic Schools
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC