News in Brief
Winfrey Signs Checks for Charters
Six charter school programs are getting a boost from Oprah Winfrey’s Angel Foundation, which announced last week that it was giving each one a $1 million grant. The programs are Aspire Public Schools, which serves nearly 10,000 students in California; the Denver School of Science & Technology, in Colorado; the LEARN Charter School Network, in Chicago; Mastery Charter Schools, in Philadelphia; Sci Academy/New Orleans Charter Science and Math Academy, in Louisiana; and YES Prep Public Schools in Houston. Ms. Winfrey sparked debate with her show’s recent program about charter schools and the film “Waiting For ‘Superman,’ ” which many educators see as promoting charter schools.
Vol. 30, Issue 05, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA
- Superintendent, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, Manlius, NY