News in Brief
Winfrey Signs Checks for Charters
Six charter school programs are getting a boost from Oprah Winfrey’s Angel Foundation, which announced last week that it was giving each one a $1 million grant. The programs are Aspire Public Schools, which serves nearly 10,000 students in California; the Denver School of Science & Technology, in Colorado; the LEARN Charter School Network, in Chicago; Mastery Charter Schools, in Philadelphia; Sci Academy/New Orleans Charter Science and Math Academy, in Louisiana; and YES Prep Public Schools in Houston. Ms. Winfrey sparked debate with her show’s recent program about charter schools and the film “Waiting For ‘Superman,’ ” which many educators see as promoting charter schools.
Vol. 30, Issue 05, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Tennessee State Teacher Fellows Program Director
- Hope Street Group, TN
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Educational Administrator
- YWCA El Paso del Norte, El Paso, TX