News in Brief
Justice Dept. Joins ACLU Against Single-Sex Classes
The U.S. Department of Justice sided with the American Civil Liberties Union this month in a lawsuit claiming that single-gender classes at a Louisiana middle school violate students' rights to an equal education, Title IX, and other federal regulations.
In April, a federal judge denied the ACLU's motion to stop single-sex classes at Rene Rost Middle School in Kaplan, La., and set up a plan for the school to continue the classes in August. The Justice Department filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case in support of the ACLU's appeal.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations