News in Brief
Justice Dept. Joins ACLU Against Single-Sex Classes
The U.S. Department of Justice sided with the American Civil Liberties Union this month in a lawsuit claiming that single-gender classes at a Louisiana middle school violate students' rights to an equal education, Title IX, and other federal regulations.
In April, a federal judge denied the ACLU's motion to stop single-sex classes at Rene Rost Middle School in Kaplan, La., and set up a plan for the school to continue the classes in August. The Justice Department filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case in support of the ACLU's appeal.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Project Manager, First the Seed Foundation Educational Programs
- First the Seed Foundation, VA
- Director of Information Technology
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School, Rockville, MD
- Director of Auxiliary Programming
- Lovett School, Atlanta, GA
- Director of College Counseling
- Augusta Preparatory Day School, Martinez, GA
- Qualified KG or Elementary Classroom Teacher
- The International School Of Choueifat Manama, Bahrain, Manama, Bahrain