News in Brief
Justice Dept. Joins ACLU Against Single-Sex Classes
The U.S. Department of Justice sided with the American Civil Liberties Union this month in a lawsuit claiming that single-gender classes at a Louisiana middle school violate students' rights to an equal education, Title IX, and other federal regulations.
In April, a federal judge denied the ACLU's motion to stop single-sex classes at Rene Rost Middle School in Kaplan, La., and set up a plan for the school to continue the classes in August. The Justice Department filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case in support of the ACLU's appeal.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Charter School Operator
- Options PCS, Multiple Locations
- Director of Academic and Strategic Initiatives - Instruction
- Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Annapolis, MD
- Principal-Multiple Vacancies
- Polk County Schools, Bartow, FL
- Director of Secondary Education
- Minneapolis Public Schools, MN
- Senior Director, Business Development and Education Services
- Foundations, Inc., Mount Laurel, NJ