News in Brief
Justice Dept. Joins ACLU Against Single-Sex Classes
The U.S. Department of Justice sided with the American Civil Liberties Union this month in a lawsuit claiming that single-gender classes at a Louisiana middle school violate students' rights to an equal education, Title IX, and other federal regulations.
In April, a federal judge denied the ACLU's motion to stop single-sex classes at Rene Rost Middle School in Kaplan, La., and set up a plan for the school to continue the classes in August. The Justice Department filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case in support of the ACLU's appeal.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Vice President, Teacher Preparation Strategies
- National Council on Teacher Quality, Washington, DC
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA