News in Brief
Conn. ACLU Sues to Stop Graduations at Church
The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a federal lawsuit seeking to stop two Connecticut high schools from holding their graduation ceremonies at a megachurch.
The state ACLU chapter and the group Americans United for Separation of Church and State filed the lawsuit on May 5. They alleged that allowing ceremonies in the First Cathedral Church in Bloomfield, Conn., represented an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion by the Enfield school district.
A lawyer for the school district, Vincent McCarthy of the American Center for Law and Justice, said that most of the lawsuit’s allegations are false, and that church leaders are willing to cover up the building’s few overtly religious symbols.
Enfield's school board voted last month to continue holding graduations at the church.
Vol. 29, Issue 31, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- CHIEF ACADEMIC OFFICER ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDANT, OPERATIONS
- Fresno Unified School District, Fresno, CA
- Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery CSD, Highland Falls, NY
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD
- Current Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations