News in Brief
Foundations Help Charter Network Secure Bonds
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Charles and Helen Schwab Foundation are helping a California charter school network secure $93 million in tax-exempt bonds to aid in its expansion and the enrollment of more than 4,000 new students.
The unusual financing arrangement is known as a Program Related Investment. Both the Gates and Schwab foundations have provided $8 million in unfunded guarantees to Aspire Public Schools to back the charter organization’s bond financing for new school buildings.
Because state and local governments typically do not provide buildings for charter schools, which are public but largely independent, expansion was difficult even before the economic situation tightened credit markets, according to Allan Golston, the president of the United States Program at the Gates Foundation.
The foundations’ credit support helps Aspire access the bond market at more favorable terms.
Vol. 29, Issue 31, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Principal-Multiple Vacancies
- Polk County Schools, Bartow, FL
- Senior Director, Business Development and Education Services
- Foundations, Inc., Mount Laurel, NJ
- Charter School Operator
- Options PCS, Multiple Locations
- Director of Secondary Education
- Minneapolis Public Schools, MN
- Director of Academic and Strategic Initiatives - Instruction
- Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Annapolis, MD