R.I. Lawmakers to Ease Limits on Charter Schools
More charter schools could open in Rhode Island under legislation that state lawmakers will consider this week.
The General Assembly plans to vote Tuesday on bills allowing up to 35 charter schools to operate. Right now, the limit is set at 20 charter schools and they can serve no more than 4 percent of students.
State leaders say they hope easing the restrictions on charter schools will help Rhode Island compete for millions of dollars in federal education funding.
House Speaker Gordon Fox and Senate President M. Teresa Paiva-Weed said they plan to accompany a state delegation to Washington on Wednesday to support Rhode Island's bid for the federal funding.
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Durham Public Schools, Durham, NC
- Principal Highland Park High School
- Township High School District #113, IL
- K-12 NEA Science Teachers Wanted for NGSS Curriculum Project. Earn $15k!
- BetterLesson, US
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations