News in Brief
House GOP Members Call for Resignation of Safe-Schools Chief
A group of 53 House Republicans has signed a letter to President Barack Obama calling for Kevin Jennings, the head of the office of safe and drug-free schools at the U.S. Department of Education, to resign.
The letter says that Mr. Jennings has spent his career advocating “for public affirmation of homosexuality.” It makes reference to an incident that occurred more than two decades ago, when Mr. Jennings was a high school teacher and made a comment to a student about hoping the youth had used a condom in a sexual encounter with an older man.
Mr. Jennings has since referred to the incident in a speech to the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, which he founded. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has stood by Mr. Jennings, saying he is "honored to have him on our team."
Vol. 29, Issue 08, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA