News in Brief
House GOP Members Call for Resignation of Safe-Schools Chief
A group of 53 House Republicans has signed a letter to President Barack Obama calling for Kevin Jennings, the head of the office of safe and drug-free schools at the U.S. Department of Education, to resign.
The letter says that Mr. Jennings has spent his career advocating “for public affirmation of homosexuality.” It makes reference to an incident that occurred more than two decades ago, when Mr. Jennings was a high school teacher and made a comment to a student about hoping the youth had used a condom in a sexual encounter with an older man.
Mr. Jennings has since referred to the incident in a speech to the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, which he founded. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has stood by Mr. Jennings, saying he is "honored to have him on our team."
Vol. 29, Issue 08, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL
- Dean of Students
- Diman Regional Vocational-Technical High School, Fall River, MA
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Glenbrook North High School, Glenview, IL