News in Brief: A Washington Roundup
Subcommittee Chiefs Named for House Education Panel
Rep. George Miller, D-Calif, the new chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, announced his subcommittee chairmen last week, including those whose jurisdiction includes education. A few subcommittees were also given new names. Meanwhile, Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon of California, the ranking Republican on the committee, announced the ranking members of the subcommittees.
Rep. Dale E. Kildee, D-Mich., will lead the Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education, which has jurisdiction over federal K-12 education policy. The panel was called the Education Reform Subcommittee under the Republican majority. Rep. Michael N. Castle, R-Del., will be the ranking member.
Rep. Rubén Hinojosa, D-Texas, will lead the Subcommittee on Higher Education, Lifelong Learning, and Competitiveness, which was known as the 21st Century Competitiveness Subcommittee in the last Congress. Rep. Ric Keller, R-Fla., will be the ranking member.
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., will oversee the Subcommittee on Healthy Families and Communities, known before as the Select Education Subcommittee. The ranking member is Rep. Todd R. Platts, R-Pa. The panel handles juvenile justice and homeless youth, among other issues.
Vol. 26, Issue 20, Page 33
- Tennessee State Teacher Fellows Program Director
- Hope Street Group, TN
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Director II-Sudent Support Services
- Deer Valley Unified School District, Phoenix, AZ
- Educational Administrator
- YWCA El Paso del Norte, El Paso, TX