News in Brief: A Washington Roundup
House Backs Measure on Underage Drinking
The House of Representatives has approved a bill that would require the Department of Health and Human Services to create a yearly report card that rates the performance of each state in fighting underage drinking.
Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard, D-Calif., was the lead sponsor of the Sober Truth on Preventing Underage Drinking Act, which passed Nov. 14 by a 373-23 vote. A Senate companion bill has been referred to a committee.
In addition to the report cards, the bill would also authorize grants that would go toward preventing underage drinking in colleges and universities, and require data collection and research on such drinking. The Health and Human Services Department would also coordinate an interagency committee that would manage prevention programs at the federal level.
Vol. 26, Issue 13, Page 24
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL