News in Brief: A Washington Roundup
House Backs Measure on Underage Drinking
The House of Representatives has approved a bill that would require the Department of Health and Human Services to create a yearly report card that rates the performance of each state in fighting underage drinking.
Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard, D-Calif., was the lead sponsor of the Sober Truth on Preventing Underage Drinking Act, which passed Nov. 14 by a 373-23 vote. A Senate companion bill has been referred to a committee.
In addition to the report cards, the bill would also authorize grants that would go toward preventing underage drinking in colleges and universities, and require data collection and research on such drinking. The Health and Human Services Department would also coordinate an interagency committee that would manage prevention programs at the federal level.
Vol. 26, Issue 13, Page 24
- SAU #88 Lebanon School District, West Lebanon, NH
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA
- Project Director - Boston Academic Strategy
- TNTP, Boston, MA
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA