Fla. City Eyes More Charters
Complaints about Broward district’s funding fuel move.
Officials in Pembroke Pines, Fla., are contemplating an effort to convert 13 Broward County public schools into charters run by the city.
City commissioners voted last month in favor of studying the matter, and will be ready by March to vote on whether to move forward with the proposal to expand their charter school portfolio.
The city already operates seven charter schools, serving some 5,000 students. Those schools have consistently earned high rankings under the state’s accountability system and gained the city national notice for its venture into education. ( "Using Charter Powers, Booming Fla. City Opts to Build Own Schools," ...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Princeton Public School District, Princeton, NJ
- Perspectives Charter Schools, Chicago, IL
- Director of School Support
- The Achievement Network, Multiple Locations
- Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
- Lake Forest School District 67 & 115, Lake Forest, IL
- Elementary Principal
- Forest Grove School District, Forest Grove, OR