Detroit Chief Takes Aim at Staff Spending
Tab for recent retreat prompts new policy.
Detroit Superintendent William F. Coleman III has cracked down on lavish spending on staff retreats after a recent professional-development workshop for 30 high school employees racked up a $20,000 tab.
Mr. Coleman last month enacted a new policy that will set limits on professional-development expenditures, especially on food and out-of-town travel.
Under the 129,000-student district’s new rules, spending for meals during staff retreats will be capped per day for each employee, said spokesman Lekan Oguntoyinbo. A precise amount for a cap is still...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Superintendent of Schools
- Orleans Parish School District, New Orleans, LA
- Superintendent of Schools - SAU 9
- SAU 9 - Conway, NH, Conway, NH
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL
- Benilde-St. Margaret's, St. Louis Park, MN
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA