Published Online: August 30, 2005
Published in Print: August 31, 2005, as Denver Schools Lose Money for ‘Reading First’ Program

News in Brief: A National Roundup

Denver Schools Lose Money for ‘Reading First’ Program

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints

Ten schools in Denver will lose $1.8 million in federal Reading First money after the state determined the school district was out of compliance with the requirements for the program.

The 73,000-student district is the largest to lose funding under the $1 billion-a-year initiative launched more than three years ago.

State officials decided to discontinue Denver’s grant in its third and final year because “they weren’t able to meet the conditions” of the closely monitored program, said state Commissioner of Education William J. Moloney.

A federal monitoring report earlier this year outlined concerns that the district’s Reading First schools were not meeting requirements for professional development, planning, and evaluation. Several of the schools also failed to show adequate improvements in student test scores, according to local press reports.

District officials received word earlier this summer that their funding was in jeopardy and appealed to the state to reconsider, but the appeal was denied.

“We regret it,” said district spokesman Mark Stevens. “Our intention was certainly to deliver on the promise.”

Vol. 25, Issue 01, Page 4

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories