News in Brief: A State Capitals Roundup
Ohio Coalition Fighting To Keep Charter Cap
A coalition of Ohio public school supporters has launched a drive to keep the cap on the number of charter schools in the state.
On June 30, that cap, now at 225, will expire. The Coalition for Public Education, which includes the state teachers’ unions, the Ohio PTA, the Ohio School Boards Association, and the League of Women Voters of Ohio, wants to keep the limit, saying that charter schools have failed students.
Two Ohio legislators have introduced bills that would retain the 225-school cap on charter schools, which are publicly financed but privately run. Ohio currently has 213 charter schools, which enroll more than 60,000 children.
Vol. 24, Issue 30, Page 21
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT