Education Funding Opinion

Teaching Forgiveness Loans

By B.J. Bryant — April 09, 2007 1 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

M.Smith wrote in about trying to locate states that forgive student loans for new teachers. Jack Kronser (HR director in Colorado) writes: Canceling part or all of your student loans is called Loan Forgiveness and is done so at the state and federal level. It is often circumstantial and typically requires some sort of required service. At the federal level, you might go to: www.staffordloan.com, then look under loan forgiveness. Different states have their own programs as well. Here in Colorado, the program is called LIFT and is available to teachers who teach Math, Science, Special Education or ESL; see www.collegeinvest.org. I woud suggest starting to inquire at your state education department for more details on what is available.

The opinions expressed in Career Corner are strictly those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinions or endorsement of Editorial Projects in Education, or any of its publications.