International Opinion

Moving -- International Back to the States

By B.J. Bryant — April 03, 2007 1 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Barbra wrote about being a licensed elementary teacher of 10 years, with a Masters degree and seven years experience in Taiwan. She wanted advice on coming back into the US culture and finding a job. Dawn Jones (Northern IL Univ.) writes:

Are you from the Midwest originally? From what institution did you receive your teaching licensure? You may want to begin by contacting that institution to see what job-seeking services it offers to its alumni (resume and cover letter information, access to job openings, interview tips, and job fairs are some common services). Many institutions in the Midwest will offer reciprocity to graduates from other institutions – sometimes for a fee and sometimes free of charge. Start with larger state schools that have teacher preparation programs. My employer (Northern Illinois University) advises anyone free of charge.

It’s important to be aware that there is a strong supply of elementary educators in the Midwest, so it may take you a bit of time to find a position. I’d advise you to apply ONLY to schools where you know there is an opening, rather than sending out “blanket” cover letters and resumes. Regional Office of Education websites and websites for individual school districts are typically the best places to start when looking for openings. Be sure to research districts that interest you, so that you can tailor your materials to their needs. Good luck to you as you prepare to return to the United States!

The opinions expressed in Career Corner are strictly those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinions or endorsement of Editorial Projects in Education, or any of its publications.