Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans Schools
The latest news about Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans schools, including articles, Commentaries, and special features.
AN EDUCATION WEEK SPECIAL PROJECT
No other American city has experienced as much upheaval to public schooling than New Orleans has in the decade since Hurricane Katrina. Education Week reporters and visual journalists went to New Orleans and Houston to interview parents, students, and educators and explore the evolution of the city’s unorthodox school system. (September 22, 2015)
This timeline covers Education Week’s archive coverage of Hurricane Katrina and its effects on schools.
2005-2008: Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, a collection of our coverage
2006: Katrina’s Castaways, a four-part series
2007-2008: New Orleans Recovery and Reform, a special series
2010: Katrina: Five Years Later, a look back
2016: The Re-Education of New Orleans, an extensive project
Urban Education: Lessons From New Orleans Blog
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- School Director - UAE - January 2018
- Edvectus, School - Middle East, United Arab Emirates
- Early Childhood Special Education Teacher (Bilingual or ELL)
- Glenview School District 34, Glenview, IL
- Superintendent/Executive Director
- Special Education District of Lake County, Gages Lake, IL
- SpecEd Emotional Disabilities Teacher, MS/HS
- Fairfax County Public Schools, Falls Church, VA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Laurel School District, Laurel, MS