Discussion Dates: May 16-18, 2012
In this title, Lisa Delpit, whose previous book—the acclaimed yet controversial Other People's Children—was published 16 years ago, delves into the school factors that have contributed to the achievement gap. She makes the case that African-American students do not achieve to their potential because they're hindered by "society's deeply ingrained bias of equating blackness with inferiority," the effects of stereotype threat, and curriculum that is not meaningful to them. More simply, she argues, they are not being taught effectively.
Read our Book Backgrounder.
Head to the author-led discussion here.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Classroom Teacher Grade 1
- The International Educator, Italy
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Seattle, Washington Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Mercer Island School District, Mercer Island, WA
- Free Online K-12 STEM Job Fair | Teaching and Admin. Jobs for 2017-2018
- TopSchoolJobs eXPO, US
- K-12 Head of School
- TIE, Switzerland
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Charlottesville, Virginia Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Albemarle County Public Schools, Charlottesville, VA