Evidence suggests that there is a crisis in adolescent literacy. Part of the problem is that students often receive little literacy instruction after elementary school. This Focus On examines the literacy instruction that adolescents need to be successful as they move on to more challenging texts in middle and high school. In addition, this publication reviews teaching strategies that can be used to develop literacy skills in all classrooms. The characteristics of effective adolescent literacy programs, struggling readers, and ways of motivating students to read are discussed.
Bulk discount: Purchase 15 or more copies for $3.00 each (discount applied at checkout)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Elementary Principal
- State College Area School District, State College, PA
- DIRECTOR OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT
- Boulder Valley School District, Boulder, CO
- Regional Superintendent
- DeKalb County School District, Stone Mountain, GA
- Principal - Chappelow K-8 Arts School
- Weld County School District 6, Greeley, CO
- Program Officer, Education, Advocacy and Special Projects
- William Penn Foundation, Philadelphia, PA