The Maker Movement in K-12 Schools
Thursday, July 7, 2016, 2 to 3 p.m. ET
Note: No special equipment other than Internet access is needed to participate in any of our text-based chats. Participants may begin submitting questions the morning of the chat.
The maker movement is going mainstream, with schools across the country encouraging students and teachers to use everything from cardboard to 3-D printers to build and learn while pursuing their passions. The shift presents new opportunities for fans of hands-on, student-driven learning. It also holds the promise of diversifying a movement that began in mostly informal spaces.
But as districts rush to embrace the trend, some key observers are also worried: Can schools, with their standards, state tests, and bell schedules, maintain the do-it-yourself, only-if-you-want-to ethos that fueled making's popularity in the first place?
Benjamin Herold, staff writer, Education Week
The 'Maker' Movement Is Coming to K-12: Can Schools Get It Right?
The Maker Movement, Equity, and Schools: Researcher Q&A
The Maker Movement in K-12 Education: A Guide to Emerging Research
Join Our Video Project: #ShowUsYourMakerSpace
All questions are screened by an edweek.org editor prior to posting. A question is not displayed until the moderator poses it to the guest(s). Due to the volume of questions received, we cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, or answered in the order of submission. Guests and hosts may decline to answer any questions. Concise questions are strongly encouraged.
Please be sure to include your name when posting your question.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Milwaukee, Wisconsin SchoolsJoin Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee, WI
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Seattle, Washington Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Mercer Island School District, Mercer Island, WA
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Boston, Massachusetts Public Schools Join Our Free Online STEM
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Charlottesville, Virginia Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Albemarle County Public Schools, Charlottesville, VA
- Free Online K-12 STEM Job Fair | Teaching and Admin. Jobs for 2017-2018
- TopSchoolJobs eXPO, US