How Alabama Coaches Up Early-Grades Reading Instruction
Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 2 to 3 p.m. ET
Note: No special equipment other than Internet access is needed to participate in any of our text-based chats. Participants may begin submitting questions the morning of the chat.
According to testing data, Alabama’s 4th graders’ reading skills are now at the national average, a stunning improvement in early literacy that officials attribute to the state’s teacher-coaching initiative. For 17 years, experienced educators have worked with reading teachers to improve their instruction, offering detailed input on integrating writing, making read-alouds more effective, and using progress-monitoring data to plan lessons.
Two of the state’s coaches will take questions on the Alabama Reading Initiative, its evolution, its next steps—and what educators can learn from it.
Tim Cobb, Alabama Reading Initiative regional coach (@AlabamaDeptofEd)
Christy Mathiews, ARI building coach, Southside Primary, Selma, Ala.
Stephen Sawchuk (@stephen_sawchuk), associate editor, Education Week
Ala. Reading Intervention Stands Test of Time (May 13, 2015)
All questions are screened by an edweek.org editor prior to posting. A question is not displayed until the moderator poses it to the guest(s). Due to the volume of questions received, we cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, or answered in the order of submission. Guests and hosts may decline to answer any questions. Concise questions are strongly encouraged.
Please be sure to include your name when posting your question.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Birmingham, AL Public Schools Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fai
- Birmingham City Schools, Birmingham, AL
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Milwaukee, Wisconsin SchoolsJoin Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee, WI
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Boston, Massachusetts Public Schools Join Our Free Online STEM
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Seattle, Washington Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Mercer Island School District, Mercer Island, WA
- Free Online K-12 STEM Job Fair | Teaching and Admin. Jobs for 2017-2018
- TopSchoolJobs eXPO, US