'Integrated' Math: A Transitional Approach to the Common Core
Monday, Dec. 1, 2014, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. ET
Note: No special equipment other than Internet access is needed to participate in any of our text-based chats. Participants may begin submitting questions the morning of the chat.
'Integrated' Math: A Transitional Approach to the Common CoreMonday, Dec. 1, 2014, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. ET
As part of the process of adapting to the Common Core State Standards for math, educators in the Community High School District 99 in Downers Grove, Ill., decided to transition the district’s high school math curriculum to an integrated course sequence. That meant abandoning the traditional classes of Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 for courses that bring together a variety of math topics. In this chat, math instructional leaders from the district will discuss the reasoning behind that decision, the challenges they have faced with the transition, and the benefits they have seen so far.
Paul Stevenson, math department chairman, Downers Grove South High School, Ill.
Gina Ziccardi, assistant superintendent for student learning, Community High School District 99, Downers Grove, Ill.
Madeline Will, contributing writer, Education Week
In Transition to Common Core, Some High Schools Turn to 'Integrated' Math (November 10, 2014)
All questions are screened by an edweek.org editor prior to posting. A question is not displayed until the moderator poses it to the guest(s). Due to the volume of questions received, we cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, or answered in the order of submission. Guests and hosts may decline to answer any questions. Concise questions are strongly encouraged.
Please be sure to include your name when posting your question.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Free Online K-12 STEM Job Fair | Teaching and Admin. Jobs for 2017-2018
- TopSchoolJobs eXPO, US
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Boston, Massachusetts Public Schools Join Our Free Online STEM
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Birmingham, AL Public Schools Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fai
- Birmingham City Schools, Birmingham, AL
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Charlottesville, Virginia Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Albemarle County Public Schools, Charlottesville, VA
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Seattle, Washington Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Mercer Island School District, Mercer Island, WA