Iraqi Schoolchildren: 5 Years of War
Five years ago this month, a U.S.-led coalition of troops invaded Iraq. Since the invasion, Mary Ann Zehr, an assistant editor at Education Week, has reported on the U.S. government's involvement in education reform in that country and Washington's eventual decision in June 2006 to withdraw financial support for Iraq's schools. Her reporting has included interviews with Iraqi education officials, teachers, students, and parents, as well as U.S. officials and others involved with the schooling of Iraqi children. Recently, Ms. Zehr traveled to Amman, Jordan, to see how displaced Iraqi children were faring.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Principal - Hubbard Woods Elementary School
- Winnetka Public Schools District 36, Winnetka, IL
- Project Director, Center for Afterschool and Expanded Learning
- Foundations, Inc., Mount Laurel, NJ
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Middle School Principal - Fox Lane Middle School
- Bedford Central School District, Mount Kisco, NY