Small teams from all District of Columbia schools analyze student test performance from 2012-13 to guide teachers' instruction as they head into the new school year. (September 11, 2013)
- Photo Galleries | Crucible for Common Core
A veteran teacher uses the last weeks of the school year to bolster her students' literacy skills before spring tests. (June 12, 2013)
A veteran teacher finds it tough going to lead her students toward mastery of the common standards in English/language arts. (June 3, 2013)
- Katie Franklin, Administrator | Read her profile.
- Sarah Hawley, Instructional Coach | Read her profile.
The District of Columbia has devoted many resources to the standards, resulting in hopes, frustrations, and the knowledge that changes are necessary. (May 21, 2013)
- Brian Pick, Administrator | Read his profile.
- Dowan McNair-Lee, Teacher| Read her profile.
- Mikel Robinson, Student | Read his profile.
In this archived chat, Education Week staff writer Catherine Gewertz discussed one district's experience with the common-core English/language arts standards and the challenges facing states and districts putting the standards into practice. (June 17, 2013)
In this on-demand webinar, two of the people featured in this series—Dowan McNair-Lee, a middle-school teacher, and Brian Pick, a top curriculum official from the District of Columbia schools—discuss how they are implementing the Common Core State Standards in English/language arts. (August 21, 2013)
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Superintendent, Clarke County Public Schools
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Berryville, VA
- Principal - Marchman Technical Education Center
- Pasco County Schools, New Port Richey, FL
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE