Small teams from all District of Columbia schools analyze student test performance from 2012-13 to guide teachers' instruction as they head into the new school year. (September 11, 2013)
- Photo Galleries | Crucible for Common Core
A veteran teacher uses the last weeks of the school year to bolster her students' literacy skills before spring tests. (June 12, 2013)
A veteran teacher finds it tough going to lead her students toward mastery of the common standards in English/language arts. (June 3, 2013)
- Katie Franklin, Administrator | Read her profile.
- Sarah Hawley, Instructional Coach | Read her profile.
The District of Columbia has devoted many resources to the standards, resulting in hopes, frustrations, and the knowledge that changes are necessary. (May 21, 2013)
- Brian Pick, Administrator | Read his profile.
- Dowan McNair-Lee, Teacher| Read her profile.
- Mikel Robinson, Student | Read his profile.
In this archived chat, Education Week staff writer Catherine Gewertz discussed one district's experience with the common-core English/language arts standards and the challenges facing states and districts putting the standards into practice. (June 17, 2013)
In this on-demand webinar, two of the people featured in this series—Dowan McNair-Lee, a middle-school teacher, and Brian Pick, a top curriculum official from the District of Columbia schools—discuss how they are implementing the Common Core State Standards in English/language arts. (August 21, 2013)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Chief Operating Officer
- Lycée Français de San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Katy ISD, Katy, TX
- State Director, School Improvement Grants (Education Programs Professional)
- Nevada Department of Education, Carson City or Las Vegas, NV
- Principal of Early Childhood Education Center
- OFJCC, Palo Alto, CA
- Chief of Schools
- See Forever Foundation, Washington, DC