A mantra in recent years has been to blame the teachers’ unions for many of the problems that beset public education. Americans only need look at Wisconsin, where the governor and lawmakers pushed through legislation curtailing the collective bargaining rights of teachers and other public employees. This special report, "Joining Forces," examines the attempts by a small but growing number of districts and unions to work together to enhance the knowledge and skills of teachers and, in turn, improve the achievement of schoolchildren.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
|Sponsored Online By:|
Nov. 15, 2 p.m. ET: Powerful Partnerships: Creating Community Coalitions for District Reform
The Syracuse City School District and Say Yes to Education have launched an innovative partnership intended to link public, private, and nonprofit community groups in support of the 19,000-student district. Our guests discussed how one older industrial city is rejuvenating its school district by building a sustainable model for developing its most precious asset—its people.
- Amargosa Valley Elementary School, Amargosa Valley, NV
- Elementary Principal Madarin Dual Language Program
- Bellevue School District, Bellevue, WA
- Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, Multiple Locations
- Christ the King Preparatory School, NJ
- The Berkeley Institute, HAMILTON, Bermuda