News in Brief
Tenn. Delays Action on Gay-Issues Ban
Legislators in Tennessee last week put off consideration of a measure to ban the teaching of gay issues to elementary and middle school students after fellow Republican Gov. Bill Haslam expressed concerns.
Gov. Haslam told reporters that lawmakers should be focused on other issues.
The legislation would limit all sexually related instruction to "natural human reproduction science" in kindergarten through 8th grade.
Opponents of the measure said it's too broad and fear it would prevent teachers and others from speaking out against the bullying of gay teens.
Vol. 31, Issue 22, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Director of Auxiliary Programming
- Lovett School, Atlanta, GA
- Director of Technology
- St. Paul's School for Girls, Brooklandville, MD
- Head of School
- Augusta Preparatory Day School, Martinez, GA
- Director of Information Technology
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School, Rockville, MD
- Chief Academic Officer
- Cristo Rey Network, Chicago, IL