Financial downturns have long tails, especially for school districts that have watched their tax bases wither over the past two years. In states like Michigan, where the once-thriving auto industry has crumbled, spending cuts have reached deep into classrooms. In many states, districts are under pressure to raise class sizes and find other ways to cut costs. Some states have raised taxes to fill holes in their budgets, yet that money has not compensated for lost revenues. There are a few bright spots, however. Wyoming, for one, kept a steady tax stream flowing from its mineral leases and other natural resources. The following slideshows and financial data offer economic snapshots from across the nation.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- University Guidance Counselor. IB School. Dubai.
- Galvin Education, Dubai (City) (AE)
- School Bus Driver
- Madison Highland Prep, Phoenix, Arizona
- ESE Teacher
- Duval County Public Schools, Jacksonville, Florida
- Elementary Principal
- Indianapolis Independent School Recruitment, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Librarian, US/IB curriculum, Dubai. Aug 2019
- Galvin Education, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)