School facilities are the literal foundation for the learning that takes place every day in some 13,000 school districts large and small. Building and maintaining them is a gargantuan financial lift—an estimated $49 billion per year for new schools and major capital projects nationwide, and $46 billion a year for maintenance and operations, according to a 2016 joint report by the 21st Century School Fund, the National Council on Facilities, and the Center for Green Schools.
This Education Week special report is all about the concrete—and equally crucial—topic of school facilities and what it takes to assure that the nation’s 56 million schoolchildren have a modern, fully-equipped, well-maintained school to attend, and a place where all that theory and educator experience can be put into practice.
Education Week Experts
REPRINT THIS REPORT
Contact [email protected].
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Public Information - 2020/2021
- Adlai E. Stevenson High School, Lincolnshire, IL, US
- Seeking an Ambitious and Passionate English High School Teacher
- Archimedean Upper Conservatory, Miami, Florida
- Information Technology Assistant
- Eagle Hill School, Hardwick, Massachusetts
- Division Director 1
- WestEd, San Francisco, California
- Lower School Special Ed Science Teacher; Dept Chair Opportunity Available (2020-21)
- The Quad Preparatory School, New York City, New York