A mantra in recent years has been to blame the teachers’ unions for many of the problems that beset public education. Americans only need look at Wisconsin, where the governor and lawmakers pushed through legislation curtailing the collective bargaining rights of teachers and other public employees. This special report, "Joining Forces," examines the attempts by a small but growing number of districts and unions to work together to enhance the knowledge and skills of teachers and, in turn, improve the achievement of schoolchildren.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
|Sponsored Online By:|
Nov. 15, 2 p.m. ET: Powerful Partnerships: Creating Community Coalitions for District Reform
The Syracuse City School District and Say Yes to Education have launched an innovative partnership intended to link public, private, and nonprofit community groups in support of the 19,000-student district. Our guests discussed how one older industrial city is rejuvenating its school district by building a sustainable model for developing its most precious asset—its people.
- Arlington Public Schools, Arlington, Virginia
- Associate Head of School
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, Florida
- President- Saint Martin de Porres High School
- Saint Martin de Porres High School, Cleveland, Ohio
- Vice President, Schools
- Innovate Public Schools, San Jose, California
- Headmaster - Boston Latin Academy
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, Massachusetts