Education Opinion

Specific State Certification Requirements

By AAEE — June 25, 2012 1 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Question from a Reader:

What coursework is required in NYS to get certified to teach elementary (particularly 5th and 6th grade) after getting certified to teach adolescent mathematics?


You will want to contact the New York State Education Department: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/. Because each state department of education handles certification requirements for their respective state, it is important to contact them directly. Also, state certification requirements change frequently--not just related to in-state prepared candidates, but for candidates prepared out-of-state as well. Additionally, if you are currently certified in NY state to teach adolescent mathematics, the representative can assist you with the particular requirements in NY to add a second certification. (The second certification may involve a more streamlined approach. A NYSED can provide an answer tailored to your particular situation.)

In this case, contacting the NY State Education Department is the most direct and most accurate approach for pursuing this information.

Deborah Snyder
Education Career Services
Grove City College, PA

The opinions expressed in Career Corner are strictly those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinions or endorsement of Editorial Projects in Education, or any of its publications.