Democracy Prep Has a Dream
About three dozen students from the Democracy Prep Charter School in New York City's Harlem kicked off the school’s Inauguration program on Friday, January 16, when they traveled to Washington to recite the “I Have a Dream” speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, as the late Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. did more than 45 years ago. The students came to Washington for the day as a lesson in how Dr. King's words relate to the inauguration of Barack Obama. Back home, the school will host an assembly for 6,000 local students and community members to observe the Jan. 20 swearing-in, a culmination of a semester of civic lessons around the presidential election.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Senior Director, AP Digital Product Management
- The College Board, New York, NY
- Program Officer
- Ford Foundation, New York, NY
- Deputy Executive Director
- National Assessment Governing Board, Washington, DC
- DIRECTOR OF TECHNOLOGY
- Austin Preparatory School, Reading, MA
- Director, Risk Management and Insurance
- Pinellas County Schools, Largo, FL